The restoration of Steamtown's Baldwin Locomotive Works 0-6-0 #26 nears completion after a frame up restoration began over a decade
ago. The engine was previously owned by Jerry Jacobson of the famed Ohio Central. He had restored it to operation on site in 1981, a mere two years after purchasing the locomotive from the owners of the former Jackson Iron and Steel Co. In the Spring of 1983, the engine was moved to the Mad River and NKP Museum in Belleview, OH as the current site was to be demolished. Looking for a larger locomotive, Jerry traded the locomotive for CNR #1551 in 1986 with Steamtown (before it was a national park). BLW #26 ran at Steamtown along side with CP #2317 and CN #3254 until it went down for a rebuild. Ironically, #26 has been under restoration at
Steamtown longer then it has ran for the park in service but will be in "like new" condition when it returns! CNR #1551 was brought back to life in 1989.
And surprise - BLW #26 will be restored to her olive green paint scheme as per original specification.