An Amtrak Genesis unit navigates a special exhibit train through the shop yards at Steamtown in Scranton, PA during "Railfest" in 2010. The unusual maneuvers, which saw the roundhouse track act as a through route, were necessary to place the train on display at the entrance to Steamtown's parking lot To the left is an old worn and weathered caboose from the St. Johnsbury & Lake Champlain Railroad.
Interesting note: The St. Johnsbury & Lake Champlain Railroad caboose (#53) was part of the original collection from F. Nelson Blount in VT. The cupola is located elsewhere in the yard. The railroad itself was constructed in the 1870's as the Vermont Division of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railway envisioned to connect the Great Lakes with the seaport of Portland, Maine. It was renamed the St. Johnsbury and Lamoille County Railroad in 1948. The eastern end of the Vermont Division was leased to the Maine Central Railroad in 1912, and the remaining 96 miles of the line, from St. Johnsbury, Vermont west to Swanton, became a subsidiary of the Boston and Maine Railroad.