B&O Baldwin 4-6-2 No.5300, President Washington
A rare clear unobstructed view!
The No. 5300, "President Washington" was the first of 20 class P-7 Pacific-type locomotives built for the B&O by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1927 and first unveiled at the B&O's centennial celebration, also known as the Fair of the Iron Horse. These locomotives were named after the first 21 U.S. Presidents with only one President Adams to represent both John and John Quincy Adams. These locomotives were designed for the B&O's premier Royal Blue Line passenger route between New York and Washington and considered one of the most handsome of the 4-6-2 type locomotive designs. The locomotive tenders were designed with water scoops to allow for refilling without stopping. The locomotives were also equipped with automatic train control for safety of operation. This feature insured that a train missing a signal was stopped immediately.
The locomotives known as the "President Class" were displayed for marketing and public relations promotions. During the 1920s, the B&O was in fierce competition with the Pennsylvania Railroad and these locomotives were a way for the B&O to set itself apart. Most locomotives at this time were not adorned with names and were simply painted black. The "President Washington" and other locomotives were given names to honor U.S. Presidents and painted olive green with a gold and maroon trim. These locomotives were the backbone of the Royal Blue Line for over two decades. Over the course of service, many of the P-7 Pacific-type locomotives had been modified and improved mechanically; however the "President Washington" remained true to the original. In 1944, the "President Washington" olive green paint scheme was replaced with a solid blue and soon after the name was removed. The No. 5300 was renumbered as the No. 100 in 1956.
The "President Washington" was officially retired from service in 1957. The No. 100 was supposed to be scrapped, but by order from B&O President Howard Simpson, the locomotive was saved and soon restored to its original form. The No. 5300 was the only locomotive of the "President Class" to be saved from scrapping. - from the B&O RR Museum's web site.