In 1963, Steamtown acquired N&W Class A 2-6-6-4 1218 from Union Carbide Corporation, who had been using it as a static boiler at one of its plants. After spending a few years in Bellows Falls, the giant was placed on loan to the Virginia Museum of Transportation in 1969. Fifteen years later, after moving to Scranton, Steamtown attempted to recall the A for display at the new site. The Norfolk Southern, eyeing the articulated for its own steam program, refused to move the 1218 north, effectively holding it hostage from its rightful owners. Eventually the NS gave the GP9 and SW8 at either end of this Steamtown train to Steamtown in exchange for clear title to the A. Hardly seems fair, does it?