B&O CB97 ("Curtis Bay 97", Baltimore/Curtis Bay to Cumberland), powered by Chessie System/B&O GP40-2 4438, CS/B&O GP30 6924, CS/B&O GP40-2 4430, and CS/C&O GP30 3028, is about to cross the Patapsco River, westbound at Daniels, MD (mp 18) on the B&O Old Main Line S.D., on November 29, 1986. (from a Kodachrome slide)
Part of the ruins of the former Daniels mill can be seen to the photo left of the lead unit. The textile mill, which dated from the 1840s, and its associated company town, were earlier known as Elysville or Alberton, depending on the owner. C.R. Daniels Co. took control in 1940. Although the company-administered workers’ housing was demolished in 1968, the factory continued in operation until 1972, when Tropical Storm Agnes ravaged the property, as well as B&O’s Old Main Line, and prompted C.R. Daniels Co. to move its operation to higher ground.