Historic Depot. Now a restaurant, this depot, built in 1877, is, as the round object in front states, located at the oldest railroad junction in the United States. The Charleston-Hamburg line (on which the Best Friend of Charleston ran) reached here in 1832 and extended to Hamburg in 1833. The line was extended from here to Orangeburg in 1840, making this location the oldest rail junction in the United States. President Taft also gave a speech here in 1909. Norfolk Southern's line between Columbia and Charleston still runs by this depot, though passenger trains have long since stopped visiting.