The Chattanooga, Rome, and Columbus Railroad was built to the towns of Lyerly, Summerville, and Trion, Georgia in 1889. At that time, a depot was built in Summerville. In 1901, the railroad became part of the Central of Georgia System. In May 1917, the original depot burned. The current depot was built to replace the burned-out structure. Today, the 1917 depot is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Tennesse Valley Railroad Museum runs monthly steam excursions to Summerville. Here, the former Southern Railways Mikado #4501 can be seen at the platform.