In 1917-1918, the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) needed its own logistics to supply the millions men sent fighting on the war front with Germany. In record time, the 35th Engineers built 37000 box, flat, gondola and tank cars in the port city of La Rochelle, from spare parts made in the USA and shipped to the nearby port of La Pallice. The cars had a weight capacity of 30 metric tons. The US Army established an open air factory in the then new La Rochelle station and the facilities nicknamed « Camp Pullman ». After the war, the cars were purchased by the French Government and put in commercial service in the French railroad companies. Some survived into the 1970’s. As part of the Centennial celebrations of WWI, the « Train & Traction » Association running the « Train des Mouettes » tourist railroad (Saujon – La Tremblade line) recently refurbished several surviving cars, some from wrecked state. They were displayed in La Rochelle then inaugurated on July 6. During several days, the cars ran on the tourist line on trains hauled by the main line steam engine 140-C-38. The gun on the flat car is an authentic WWI gun.