Denver & Rio Grande Western had a narrow gauge main line that penetrated the Black Canyon of the Gunnison between Gunnison and Montrose, Colorado. This line was abandoned in 1949 and in 1960, much of the route was submerged beneath the waters of Morrow Point Reservoir. Just below Morrow Point Dam, a portion of a bridge survived on the route, and it was used as a monument to the narrow gauge that once plied the canyon. A short train consisting of Rio Grande C-16 No. 278 (2-8-0), boxcar No. 3132 and caboose No. 0577 was placed on the bridge. Inundated by the water was a towering granite point called the Curecanti Needle, which was used by Rio Grande in its “Scenic Line of the World” logo seen on the end of the bridge. More recently, the equipment has been removed from the bridge for some restoration work.