On a February day in 1990, the long lines of older N&W locomotives stored at Radford, VA yielded at least one surprise. N&W SD45 1776 had been repainted red, white and blue as the road's tribute to the US Centennial in 1976. But, after many years of service (and repainting into standard black), the unit has been unceremoniously shoved into this line of locomotives destined for the scrapper. You can still see a little of the bright blue bleeding through on the roof. And---coupled nose-to-nose is former "Red Bird" passenger GP9 502--built for the N&W in 1957 and originally numbered 764. This is a long, long way from its duties pulling the Pocahontas, the Cavalier or Powhatan Arrow. Even the bells of both units have been cannibalized. But, all's well that ends well: the 1776 would be pulled from the line and donated to the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke. Last year, it was rededicated in a very nice ceremony at the museum, resplendent in a fresh coat of red, white and blue. The new paint was financed by Trains Magazine, and completed by the NS paint shop in Chattanooga. However, one wonders where the current bell on the unit came from. It's probably not original, based on what we see here.