The former Reading Railroad McMyler coal dumper was constructed in 1917 to handle the increasing coal traffic that was destined for the New York Harbor. In 1951 the pier caught fire. Much of the original dumper was salvaged, although the Reading purchased some necessary parts from the recently abandoned NYS&W McMyler pier in Edgewater, N.J. Operations resumed at Port Reading. Conrail came to fruition in 1976, and the new railroad continued to use the McMyler coal dumper. Finally, in 1983 operations ceased when the last coal customer, Public Service Electric & Gas began to receive coal from a different pier along the Eastern Seaboard.