The Clinchfield was very accommodating to our local NRHS chapter during the ‘70s, when general manager Tom Moore’s excursion program was in full swing. Our group chartered several “steam-only” trips both north and south of Erwin. The “One Spot” could only pull two heavyweight coaches full of railfans and still get over the road in a decent amount of time. In this case, we’re headed north at Starnes, VA—a rural passing siding along the Clinch River between Kingsport and St. Paul, VA. The first coach, by the way, was converted by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis from an old Pullman at its West Nashville Shops. The semi-streamlined coach was a part of the NC&StL’s all-homemade steam-powered streamliner, “City of Memphis” (Memphis-Nashville). When the road was merged into the L&N in 1957, it was integrated into the L&N’s passenger car fleet. Deemed surplus by 1968, it was sold to the Clinchfield as Moore moved to assemble a passenger consist for his Ten-Wheeler/F7Bs to pull. At St. Paul, we’ll turn on the wye and head back to Erwin (stopping again at Starnes for water)—an all day trip. The railroad had to pre-stage a tank car full of water with a pump at Starnes to quench the Ten-Wheeler’s thirst—both ways. With the small tank filled, the photographers have trooped north just far enough to allow for a quick photo run-by on the passing track before re-boarding. Looking back, it’s still amazing a railroad would do all this for its fans. Try asking that today!