Canadian National No. 6789 idles at the depot with an excursion train bound for downtown Monticello. The engine is coupled to CN No 15421, a steam generator. Both were built for CN, the FPA-4 in 1959 by MILW and the steam generator by Can Car in 1958. VIA Rail acquired the FPA-4 in 1978 where it was in service until retired in 1989. A private owner acquired the engine in 1994. With the CN /IC merger of 1998, the set is not quite out of place running at the Monticello Railway Museum on former Illinois Central tracks.
Nelson's Crossing Depot was built in 1919 and rebuilt in 1942. It was formerly located in Deland, IL but later, in 1977 donated and moved to the museum in 1980 where it serves as the ticket office and gift shop.