Western Maryland Alco RS-3 No. 195
The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) began producing road switchers starting with the RS-1 in 1941. The RS series (Road Switchers) were similar to ALCO's S series (Switchers) though they had a longer frames and more horse power with the goal of being suitable for both switching and road service. The RS-2 differed from the RS-1 in having rounded edges, a low hood profile and a more powerful 1500 (vs 1000) horse power engine. In 1950, ALCO introduced the RS-3, which was an upgrade of the RS-2 with a 1600 horse power engine. ALCO produced over 1300 RS-3's before the model was discontinued.
The Western Maryland Railway (WM) purchased the No.195 in 1953. The No. 195 and the other RS-3s purchased by the Western Maryland were used to replace the 2-8-0 Consolidation steam locomotives on the coal drags in West Virginia. The No. 195 worked extremely hard for the Western Maryland lines and it never had any major mechanical problems. In November 1976, the No. 195 was retired from service and was stored in operable condition. The No. 195 was sent to the shops in Cumberland for some cosmetic repairs before it was officially retired to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in 1976. - from the B&O RR Museum's web site.