Working Southern Pacific's West Colton Yard in Bloomington, California, is SP SD7E 1512. The engine originated as SP SD7 5315 (built in July 1953), and assigned to subsidiary Northwestern Pacific, working that railroad's remote north end. In 1965 the SP reorganized their large and varied roster with a massive renumbering, and this engine became SP 2722. In 1973, it was renumbered again as SP 1422, and renumbered a fourth time when it was rebuilt at the railroad's Sacramento Shops in January 1980, becoming an SD9E ("E" for electrical upgrades). It was photographed here on March 6, 1985 - and it would soldier on for the SP until retirement on December 23, 1998 (and subsequently sold around October 2000 to Larry's Truck Electric Company of McDonald, Ohio).