On a cold winter day, BO-1 crawls down the South Reading Branch with 7 loads in tow. The conductor prepares to flag Franklin St. as they head for Rousselot in Peabody, MA.
In 1850, the South Reading Railroad opened a line from South Reading (now Wakefield) to Peabody in order to connect with the busy port of Salem, MA. The line became under control of the Boston & Maine Railroad from 1884 to 1925 when most of the line was cut back to Peabody, MA. Only a couple miles remain to service this one customer which is served at least twice weekly.