The Union Pacific Railroad worked with the Altoona Police Department for their department photo. The Chief of Police is proud of the railroad heritage that the city has and the role that the railroad continues to have in the city. Altoona, Wisconsin was recognized by Union Pacific as one of their Train Town USA communities.
The settlement of Altoona began in 1881 when the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railway selected the site for a new terminal to replace the overcrowded existing terminal in Eau Claire. The railroad had originally planned to put the new terminal in Fall Creek, but the city of Eau Claire lobbied for a site closer to the existing one, and representatives from Eau Claire and the railroad walked the tracks from Fall Creek to Eau Claire to determine a suitable site. When the location of present-day Altoona – approximately three miles east of the existing Eau Claire terminal – was found to have sufficient flat land and access to water (via the Eau Claire River), the railroad began construction of the new terminal and the community of “East Eau Claire” was platted in October.
Residents began moving into the community in early 1882 and the railroad terminal became operational in May of that year. However, confusion between the “Eau Claire” and “East Eau Claire” stations quickly caused the railroad to rename the new terminal “Altoona” on October 14, 1882. Altoona was incorporated as a city on April 5, 1887. - wiki