Southern Pacific's oldest passenger GP9, SP 3000, is coupled with passenger SP GP9 3009. Photographed on August 14, 1973, at the 3rd and Townsend passenger station in San Francisco, California, these engines are part of the "commute" pool, hauling passenger trains between San Jose and San Francisco. SP was built by EMD in May 1954 as Texas & New Orleans 280. T&NO 280 and 281 were transferred to parent company SP's Pacific Lines in January 1961, where they were assigned to the "commutes," at which time 280 was renumbered as SP 5994 (and TNO 281 became SP 5995). The big renumbering in 1965 saw this engine assigned the number 3000. SP 3009 was built by EMD in June 1954 as SP 5602, acquiring number 3009 in the same 1965 renumbering that created SP 3000. Each of these Geeps featured dual controls in their cabs to allow operation without turning trains at the end of the run – and, as a result, they wore red wings on both the short and long hoods. These engines were also equipped with steam generators. Note, too, the built-out train indicators (aka numberboards) on the 3000, which allowed crews to change the train numbers in them from the outside. From the look of the long air line connected to the 3000's train line (air hose), these engines were supplying air to some other equipment this day.