An Amtrak Keystone train traverses the "High Bridge" constructed by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1904. The 934 foot, 10 arch bridge carries the Main Line across the water gap cut by the Brandywine creek. Captured from an overlook by Cityview Ave.
Coatesville is approximately 39 miles west of Philadelphia, PA. It is named after Moses Coates, a prosperous farmer and early settler whose son-in-law, Jesse Kersey, came up with a plan to develop the area by selling frontage on the recently completed Lancaster Turnpike which crossed through their land. The township was formed by the merger in 1867 of a village named "Midway", named after its station owned by the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad midway between Philadelphia and Lancaster and the village of Bridge-Town named after the two bridges crossing the Brandywine River.