Built in 1884 by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, it sat across the tracks and a meadow from the Railroad's Oakland Hotel, which opened in 1876, to support the development of Oakland and Garrett County as a resort area. Today, it is one of the finest remaining examples in Maryland of a Queen Anne style railroad station. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 as the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station, Oakland. It was revived for service on Amtrak's Shenandoah between 1976 and 1981. The city of Oakland bought the station in 1998, and in 2000 restored it with help from the State of Maryland. Today, it is better known as the Oakland B&O Railroad Museum. Former Jonesboro, Lake City and Eastern Railroad No. 40, a 2-8-0 built in 1920 was recently acquired, cosmetically restored (as a fictitious B&O No. 76), and placed on display by the front entrance, on the opposite side.