Train service to New Brunswick was begun by the New Jersey Railroad, northbound in 1838 and southbound in 1839. Its successor, the Pennsylvania Railroad built this station in 1903 when the tracks were raised above street level. The station building, owned today by the New Jersey Transit agency, was listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The design of this station is similar to that of the Chester Transportation Center in Pennsylvania, which interestingly enough, was also built in 1903. Most of Amtrak's Northeast Corridor services bypass the station via the inner tracks, except for select Keystone Service and Northeast Regional trains and the weekday westbound Palmetto.