This is the elevated portion of the former Reading Company's "City Branch", built between 1881 and 1893, located in the heart of Philadelphia, PA. The branch was built by the Philadelphia & Reading Terminal Railroad, incorporated in 1888, and leased by the Philadelphia & Reading Railway in 1891. It connected the Reading's mainline at Belmont Junction (to the west) to downtown Philadelphia, servicing dozens of industries within the city. The terminus of this branch is seen above. It is elevated and was built as an approach to the new Reading Terminal, merging with the viaduct of 9th Street Branch (The Reading Company's commuter train route out of Philadelphia before being replaced by a tunnel). Today, it looks much different, tracks removed, grounds cleaned and paved, landscaped with pedestrian access - Phase 1 of a project to convert the entire branch into a rails to trails park. For more information, click here.