The ex Sierra Leone Railway 2-6-2T #14 is resting at the Llanfair Caereinion station. Built by the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds in 1954, this 2-6-2T was the last of a line of similar locomotives supplied to the Sierra Leone Railway where it worked on various duties in and around Freetown. The leading and trailing trucks, together with a short fixed wheelbase enable it to negotiate the line’s sharp curves without difficulty, and it has been a superb performer on the W&L since it first entered traffic here in 1978. The locomotive very nearly went for scrap in 1975 after her railway closed, but was rescued in the nick of time from the torch and repatriated from West Africa to the W&L. #14 was withdrawn from service in early 2010 needing a new boiler and is now waiting for overhaul.