Penn Central P-2b no. 4627 is seen in the yard at North White Plains with a seemingly fresh coat of paint. The locomotive was one of 22 P-motors built by ALCO-GE in 1929 and 1930 for the electrified Cleveland Union Terminal (CUT). The fleet served in Ohio until 1951 when they were withdrawn in in favor of diesels, which did not require a power change at the terminal. The New York Central Railroad, which was the majority owner of CUT and thus owned the locomotives, sent the P-1a fleet to GE for conversion from CUT's 3000 VDC overhead electrification to the New York electrified division's 660 VDC third rail electrification, denoting the GE-converted locomotives P-2b. (One locomotive was converted in-house at the NYC's Harmon shop and was designated P-2a) The fleet hauled long-distance trains between Grand Central Terminal and Croton-Harmon until their retirement in 1970. All remaining units were eventually scrapped, with none preserved.
Undated slide, Fred Byerly photo, Matt Csenge collection.