New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) work motor no. 35654 is seen laid up in Concourse Yard. The car was converted to work service from Lo-V "World's Fair Steinway" car no. 5654, which was one of 50 built by the St. Louis Car Co. in 1938. They were distinguished as "World's Fair Steinway" Lo-V cars. "World's Fair" differentiated their body style rather than the typical Lo-V carbody, and referring to the fact that the cars were ordered to supplement the Flushing Line fleet in advance of the 1939 World's Fair. "Steinway" referred to the gearing of the traction motors: a special lower gear ratio was required to climb the steep grades in the Steinway Tunnels, which carry the Flushing Line under the East River between Queens and Manhattan. "Lo-V" referred to the lower electrical voltage in the controls and trainlines; previous subway and elevated equipment routed 600 volt DC power through the controls and trainlines (this equipment was nicknamed "Hi-V" after the introduction of the Lo-V equipment.
Undated slide, unknown photographer, Matt Csenge collection.