The station of Porto Empedocle Central, is the historic Station, built in 1870, coinciding with the construction of the entire railway Palermo - Agrigento Low - Porto Empedocle.
Here was once the terminus of important economic exchanges, especially the loading and unloading of sulfur extracted from nearby mines, and salt, which were transported around the world via rail or ship. Sicily was a land rich in sulfur and also the world's largest producer of sulfur. It is estimated that 95% of sulfur around the world veniza exported from Sicily. Then this record was taken by the Americans, when they discovered a large deposit of sulfur in Louisiana (Texas - USA) and also invented the extraction method "Frasch" were used to carry surface liquid sulfur directly from within the earth. And so the poor Sicily was back and train, day after day has lost its strategic importance in the Mediterranean.