Clinchfield F7A 821 had a truly interesting history. It was built in 1949 for the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad as its 814. The NC&StL used its F-units for both freight and passenger... (more)
On a particularly grubby and rainy January day in 1975, two well-traveled Clinchfield F-units are lined up for service on the east side of the old diesel shop at Erwin. The 816 was one of just a h... (more)
Brand new Clinchfield SD40 3005 is readied for a southbound run to Bostic at dusk.
CSXT 896 rests at the Erwin Service Center after an encounter with a load of mulch.
The "One Spot" is hostled back to the shop after an all-steam solo Erwin-St. Paul (VA) roundtrip. Note the diesel m.u. hoses so trailing B-units could be controlled by the steamer's engineer. The ... (more)
The very last two Clinchfield units in gray and yellow--SD40s 3007 and 3006--repose at Erwin shortly after sundown.