Great Victorian Railway structures in Yorkshire No.1 - Dewsbury Viaduct. Built in 1848 by the London & North Western Railway, the viaduct is on the main line connecting Manchester and Leeds. Dewsbury was at the heart of the 'heavy woollen' district of Yorkshire, manufacturing and exporting woollen clothes to the world. Many of the former 'dark satanic' mills have survived, the years of grime have been removed, to reveal the natural stone. Most have been converted into smart flats like the one seen here. Behind the train is Dewsbury Wellington Road station, the only survivor of three competing stations in the town, the other two were closed over 35 years ago. The line beyond snakes its way up the Calder Valley to Mirfield, Huddersfield and thence under the Pennine Hills via Standege tunnel to Manchester.