Chicago & Northwestern 4-6-0 No. 175
The frame and drive train for Chicago & North Western 4-6-0 R-1 No. 175 sits stored in the yard at the Steam Railroading Institute (Owners of Pere Marquette No. 1225) while restoration proceeds on the boiler which is located in the engine house just down the line.
No. 175 was built for the C&NW by Alco in 1908. It was the last C&NW owed steam locomotive to operate in revenue service pulling a fan trip in Wisconsin on September 24th, 1957. It was later sold to the Winona County Historical Society in MN in 1961, and then later to gentleman named Clint Jones in 1964 for possible tourist service in Michigan on the Keweenaw Central tourist railroad. When that operation closed, it sat stored at the Quincy Smelter in Hancock, MI. SRI purchased the locomotive in June of 2018 and is currently in the process of restoring the locomotive to operation along side PM No. 1225. This is a great locomotive for SRI - a sister to C&NW #1385, she'll have plenty of power and even better, actually operated on the C&NW out of Escanaba in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.