SA22 crosses what is now called Burt Creek on the ex-Raritan River Railroad (RRRR) main line. Burt Creek wasn't always called that, in fact, it wasn't always a creek. Clay and sand pits owned by two brick companies, Crossmans and Suchs, in this area is the reason that the RRRR was built in 1888. With the ability to now ship by rail, Crossman's built a narrow gauge railroad to bring clay and sand to the RRRR interchange. This required a bridge being built on the RRRR main so the narrow gauge line could reach the Raritan River to ship by boat. Crossmans kept ownership of the land on which the RRRR was building in 1888 so it could one day get to the clay under the right of way. In 1937, an agreement was reached to move the right of way much to the delight of the RRRR because of a steep grade on the original line. A new bridge was built over Crossman's narrow gauge line in 1938. The narrow gauge line would eventually be removed and the clay pits would eventually be closed, but the RRRR would survive until 1980 when it would become part of Conrail. Today, the line belongs to Conrail Shared Assets and is used Su-F to serve the Gerdau Ameristeel mill in Sayreville.