Bethlehem Steel MU No. 800
"On July 26, 1931, regularly scheduled, electric train service began to suburban Philadelphia communities, and electric multiple-unit passenger cars were intended to replace steam on these lines. These multiple-unit passenger cars accelerated faster and afforded passengers other amenities such as electric heat and reduced noise and smoke. A 10.8 mile commute from Philadelphia to Chestnut Hill that once took 40-44 minutes by steam train was reduced to only 29 minutes by electric train." - www.rrmuseumpa.org.
No. 800 was built in Wilmington, DE, in 1931 and served the Reading and then later, SEPTA until being retired in 1980. It is preserved indoors at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.
Welcome to the database, No. 800!