The settlement of State Bridge, Colorado got its name from the structure spanning the Colorado River to the right of this photo. The area needed a supply line from the nearest railroad station, at Wolcott on the D&RG, as the Moffatt Road was not yet built. In 1890, the State of Colorado authorized a $6000 grant for construction of the bridge seen here. This first ever state grant became known as State Bridge, and the name has outlived the structure, which no linger stands. Here the last-ever Rio Grande Zephyr passes the community.