Fallen Flags. The Santa Fe Depot in San Diego, CA was opened on March 8, 1915, part of a large expansion of rail service in the area. Naturally, a Fred Harvey concession was included in the station. Amtrak took over passenger service in 1971, and the Santa Fe Railway wanted to raze the depot and replace it with two 12 story buildings. Working with local officials, Amtrak retained the depot and the surrounding area was developed. On July 24, 2020, Webb Rail's former Northern Pacific Railway Budd built Pullman dome/sleeper 313 (WEBX 801044) sits opposite Amtrak California CDTX 2114 (SC-44) with a Coaster train in the background. The Santa Fe Railway name (short for Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway), along with the intricate tile work and other architectural details are faithfully preserved today.