The Cumberland Subdivision was opened in 1842 as part of the Baltimore & Ohio’s mainline, following the Potomac River. In 1914 the B&O opened the Magnolia Cutoff, a more direct route through mountain ridges, running 14 miles (23 km) between Hansrote and Paw Paw, West Virginia. The project included the construction of four tunnels, two bridges, and many deep rock cuts. The Magnolia Cutoff became the preferred route and the original "Lowline" along the Potomac was taken out of service in 1961. Emerging from one of Maryland’s few railroad tunnels, the Graham Tunnel, a westbound Baltimore & Ohio freight, led by Chesapeake & Ohio SD40 7569 (wearing the combined roads' Chessie System scheme) crosses the Potomac River and enters West Virginia once again. (Paw Paw, West Virginia – July 28, 1984). John W. Held photo, Craig Walker collection.