Lost and Found
PRR Class B6s 0-6-0 #60 has been relocated from a siding along the Wilmington & Western in downtown Hockessin, next to the "Children First Preschool" (which was designed to look like a train station), to a siding further north near Yorklyn, DE, adjacent to the former site of NVF (National Vulcanized Fiber). The locomotive was donated to the Historic Red Clay Valley in 2020.
To the far right is part of a turntable which was built in 1910 by the American Bridge Company of New York, and previously set up in a town on the south side of Chicago. It was acquired from the Illinois Railway Museum in 2018 with the goal to install it (and a new station) adjacent to the (now destroyed) NVF complex, allowing Wilmington & Western's steam locomotives to be turned for their return trip to Greenbank, in Wilmington, DE.
No. 60 was built in December of 1913 by the Pennsylvania's Juniata Shops. It is unique for the PRR in that it did not have a Belpaire firebox. No. 60 is missing her sloped back tender and is seen here with a tender from a different PRR locomotive. Rumor suggests that No. 60 worked the 30th St. Station/Penn Coach Yards in Philadelphia, Pa. The locomotive ran until 1952 before being taking out of service leaving her sitting on a siding along the old PRR Conemaugh Division in Acmetonia, Pa near Pittsburgh. No. 60 was purchased by the Cemline Corporation to be used as a stationary boiler, though that plan, but not the purchase fell through. The engine was then purchased by a private owner and was moved to Marshallton, DE in the 1970s for storage where it sat for years on a siding at the Hercules Research Center. It was put up for sale in 1995 and purchased by Hockessin Businessman, Matt Minker who placed it next to his office building, which was built to look like a freight house, in the town of Hockessin, DE, adjacent to the W&W right of way.
A sister locomotive, PRR No. 1670, a B6sb class 0-6-0 built 3 years later in 1916, survives today and is located at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.