In this view from April 22, 1956, a Fulton St El train using one C Type semi-permanently connected trainset is seen west of Crescent St Station, where the line passed over Conduit Blvd. The line had been closing incrementally as construction on the IND Fulton St Line progressed, with the four-track subway intended as the elevated's replacement. This station, along with all others west of 80th St, would close permanently just four days after this photo was taken. The section east of 80th St would eventually be incorporated into the replacement line, with A trains serving the remaining six stations today.
The C Type trainsets were elevated car conversions built by the BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corp.) in 1922 and 1923, using older elevated cars. The end cars were former motor cars built in the first decade of the 1900s and the center cars were trailer cars from the previous century. The three cars were semi-permanently coupled with drawbars to make trainsets.
Unknown photographer, Matt Csenge collection.